the Southwell and Nottingham Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers
The Guild was created
when the old Midland Counties Association and the North Nottinghamshire
Association came to an end on the 31st December 1945. The old Midland Counties
Association had covered a huge area including part of Staffordshire and the
Dioceses of Derby, Leicester and Southwell. This new Guild which covered the
whole of Nottinghamshire was called the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Change
Ringers. At the end of the first year of operation the Annual Report recorded
213 ringing members which included 46 new members.
In 1959 the importance of
less experienced ringers, who rang regularly for Sunday service but hitherto
were not qualified for membership of the Guild, was recognised by changing the
name of the Guild from the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers to the
Southwell Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.
The Diocese of Southwell
changed its name to The Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham at the end of 2005.
At the Guild AGM in 2008 a motion to change the Guild's name to reflect the current name
of the diocese and to continue the diocesan link was finally passed.
Today, ringing is based
on six districts - Bingham, Mansfield, Newark, North Notts., Nottingham and
South Notts. - each with its own District Officers who facilitate the successful
running of the district. The 2018 Annual Report records a membership of 654.
If you would like to purchase a copy of the report, please contact the